2.4 C
Washington
Sunday, November 30, 2025

U.S. Strike Kills Six in Waters off Venezuela as Trump Expands Military Action on Alleged Drug Traffickers

Must read

politikerhttps://www.thepolitiker.com
Uncovering politics power and truth daily clips debates and breaking stories the truth behind the headlines No spin. No noise. Just Politics.

Washington —The United States conducted a strike on a small vessel accused of carrying narcotics in international waters off the coast of Venezuela on Tuesday, killing six people, President Donald Trump announced. It was the fifth deadly operation in the Caribbean in recent months, as the Trump administration continues to classify suspected drug traffickers as “unlawful combatants” subject to military engagement.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered the strike early Tuesday, according to the president, who released video footage of the attack on social media. Hegseth later shared the same clip on X, describing it as part of an ongoing campaign to “dismantle narcoterrorist networks.” Trump said the strike was justified under intelligence assessments linking the vessel to drug trafficking operations and “terrorist-affiliated routes.”

No U.S. forces were injured in the operation. The Pentagon declined to provide further details about the strike or the individuals targeted.

Growing Bipartisan Concern in Washington

Lawmakers from both parties have voiced increasing concern over the legality and transparency of the administration’s expanding use of force in the Caribbean. Democrats have accused the White House of violating international law and the U.S. Constitution, while several Republicans have pressed for clearer legal justification.

A War Powers Resolution introduced in the Senate last week, which would have required congressional authorization for future strikes, failed to pass.

According to a memo obtained by the Associated Press, the White House has told Congress that the United States is engaged in a “non-international armed conflict” with designated terrorist organizations tied to narcotics trafficking. The memo asserts that Trump has directed the Pentagon to carry out operations under the law of armed conflict.

Two U.S. officials familiar with the matter said the administration has yet to present evidence that the targeted vessels were carrying drugs. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described mounting frustration among lawmakers over the absence of verifiable intelligence.

Regional Tensions Escalate

The latest strike follows a major U.S. naval buildup in the Caribbean—one of the largest in decades—designed to intercept drug shipments and exert pressure on Venezuela’s government.

Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino on Tuesday accused Washington of fabricating drug-trafficking allegations to justify military aggression and destabilize the Maduro regime. In a televised address, he described the U.S. actions as “anti-human, warmongering, and vulgar.”

“The United States knows these accusations are false,” Padrino said. “Its true goal is to force regime change in Venezuela. We must prepare for escalation.”

The U.S. maintains that the operations are focused solely on narcotics interdiction and counterterrorism efforts, not on regime change.

The Biden administration had largely halted similar operations during its tenure, citing concerns over legality and collateral risks. Trump’s renewed maritime campaign marks a return to the aggressive posture of his first term, one that critics say blurs the line between law enforcement and warfare.

- Advertisement - For The Politiker Podcast-spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

🎙️Listen The Politiker Podcast🎙️

- Advertisement - For The Politiker Podcast-spot_img

Latest article